Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wallowa or bust

So on my way to Boise -- I got a bit distracted and found my way to Wallowa Oregon.  I have not been there for 30 years (OMG) but spent my 8th and 9th grade years there.  It is an amazingly beautiful place with mountains, canyons, lakes, trees and ranches.  The mill shut down awhile ago and now it is even quieter than I remember.

I explored all my old haunts including knocking on the door of my best friend back then only to find out she is now the President of a small college in Oregon -- who knew?  From Wallowa, I continued over to the Lake and then back to Terminal Gravity brew pub in honor of my sister Renee.  Great beer, good people and the giants game!

The highlight of my little distraction however was the bar back in Wallowa which I stopped in for a little night cap before bed.  There I ran into some hunters and fishermen -- all of them very fun and welcoming.  Before the night was over, I had new best friends.  Great time was had by all!!

Instead of driving out the same way I came in, the manager of the Mingo motel in Wallowa suggested I go a different way, towards Lewiston, Idaho.  If you ever have the change to make that drive - I highly recommend it -- one of the prettiest drives I've ever done. 

It took most of the day (although it is a pretty drive -- it is a bit long) but I ended up in Butte Montana.  I stayed at a hotel built in the 20's in Uptown Butte (yep -- that's what they call it).  Had a pretty low key evening watching the Giants win yet another game at the Metals Sports Bar. 

Ended my Oregon/Montana trek at the battle site of Little Big Horn.  Very sobering. 

Off to Wyoming.

Cheers.


This is the track where I started my career.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! What an awesome picture! I love your blog. Thank you for sharing! Are you going to try to find your old friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool trip. Going to Boise and ending up in Butte. My dad grew up in Butte. Did you go to Pork Chop John's by any chance. GU boys dad started the place and I think they work it now.
    Have a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to see the track where you and Jill ran track. It doesn't seem to have changed a bit. Isn't is ironic that Patty is in Coos County now. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete