Monday, November 22, 2010

Kentucky/Tennessee

I started my Kentucky experience in Louisville. In addition to Churchill Downs – which not much was happening there this time of year – it also has a happening downtown area. I took a stroll around and had a bite to eat but then decided to put some more miles under my belt and head for a smaller town. I found Bardstown.

It is a small town in an area known for its Whiskey/Bourbon distilleries. But it is also rich with history. It is the 2nd oldest town in Kentucky and has a cobblestone road that was built in 1790. My favorite thing about Bardstown was that it is not commercialized. It has all this great stuff but it doesn’t have all the fanfare. There are 5 museums in this little town and a tribute to the Goliad massacre of 1836. One of the regiments that were there was from Bardstown. I did take a tour of the Holly Hill Distillery which boasts that it was their founder that “discovered” Bourbon from putting Whiskey in slightly burned barrels. The tour was fun and I have now graduated from a California wine drinker to a real bourbon sipper. The tour guide had some fun “making fun” of me to the enjoyment of everyone. I don’t think they see a lot of Californian’s there.

I went to a music store (or 2 or 3) in Kentucky and was told that I needed to go to Nashville to get my banjo. I was told that they would have more there and that I needed to look for a man named Calvin – so south I traveled.

I love Nashville – you can listen to all the live Country music you ever dreamed of. You just stroll from club to club – no cover – no drama – no nonsense – just live music and bud – that would be Budweiser! Heaven! Before I discovered Honky Tonk Row however, I went to a place called The Bluebird Café. It is a venue for songwriters. It was spectacular. The night I was there, 4 songwriters were playing – they just sit around and take turns singing their songs and trying out new ones. There were quite a few that I recognized from the radio. It gave me a taste of the process – so many people are in that town just trying to get their break and make it big.

The next day I tried to see more of what Nashville had to offer and ended up at the Grand Old Opry. I saw John Connelly, Charley Pride; -- it was a great experience and brought back lots of memories. Country music is all about the story telling for sure.

I also went to a great Italian restaurant one block off the Vanderbilt campus that was featured on DDD (Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives – a Food Network show). It was called Savarino’s Cucina and I had the best Lasagna I’ve ever had in the US. Tasted like I was back in Italy – highly recommend it.


On my way back to my car I stumbled on a music store – and now I have my banjo – I can’t tell you how excited I am. Calvin, my new banjo buddy, gave me a few pointers and then told me it was all about how much I practiced. I committed to at least ½ hour a day – I want to make him proud – so far I’m still on track. It is beautiful with dark wood and pearl knobs. I may have a new career path in the making.

From Nashville and the country music Mecca – I headed to Memphis for the blues music Mecca. Another great city. I stayed right down town, a block from the Mississippi. I had a couple of runs and bike rides along the river – it was 72 degrees – spectacular. The downtown area has an old trolley system.

Just so happened that the Heat were in town to play the Grizzlies – and I hate to disappoint LeBron and not show up. What a great game – LeBron is pretty amazing and even with not having a great game – he scored 29 points! But the grizzlies won the game at the buzzer – woo hoo! Beale Street after the game was like a sea of people – reminded me of Bourbon Street with the beads. J the music is everywhere there as well. You just move from club to club – although many of these had a cover. You can also walk around the streets with your drinks – that is always fun.

I was told that in Memphis – you have to eat Fried Chicken, BBQ and Oysters – so I found my way to all three. The fried chicken was the best I have to say – Uncle Lou’s – and now I have another vegetable I can eat – corn poppers. They take corn – wrap it in batter – and deep fry! So delicious! Deep fried is the best way to do veggies!!

Memphis is also home to the National Civil Rights Museum. It is built at the hotel where Martin Luther King was killed. It is extremely well done and very moving.


I finished my Tennessee experience sitting at Mud Park on the Mississippi, watching the sunset, playing my banjo (or picking at it).


I am not off to Kansas City, Missouri for a college basketball tournament. Go Zags!

No comments:

Post a Comment