Monday, November 8, 2010

Go Packers!!!



My night on the Missouri River was spent in a small town that I cannot even remember the name of. But, I must admit, Minnesota has not ranked high on my list of fun, interesting, friendly or beautiful places I’ve been. It is a fine state – nothing wrong with it – but I did not see the wow factor if indeed there is one.

I drove across the state to get to the other side – funny how that works! I was on a mission to get to Green Bay to see the Packers. I did take the scenic highway for a few hours to try and get a little Minnesota essence and got a lost on the “not so great roadside signage”. I did spend sunset in the Amish countryside which was beautiful.

Since I did feel quite compelled to reach Green Bay – I just kept driving even though it was dark. I had made a deal with myself that I would only drive at night on the interstates but not on the Highways – oops. I did get a bit uneasy as it was very, very dark and the unclear road signs or lack thereof made it difficult to really know where I was or what I was around – it was just dark. The upside however, was the stars were amazing. There was gazillions of them. I finally found a hotel about 10:00 and called it a day.

My next stop was Green Bay and the Packers game. What a blast that was and “we” even won big! The fans were everything I thought they would be – loved it. I grabbed a bite to eat at a sports bar before I went over to the game. Minnesota was playing and it was so funny how all the people in the bar just booed and bad mouthed poor Bret – they seemed quite bitter.

I got pretty good seats for the game – 45 yard line – 50 rows up. Sat with a group of great guys who come every year to a game or two – they are from Texas and Iowa. They bought all my beer and took good care of me. They declared me “part of the pack”! Woo Hoo!

My grand idea of going to the game worked well but the closest hotel to Green Bay that had rooms was about 90 miles away – and I am not kidding. I did not believe it at first either – but it’s true. So what’s a gal to do -- by the time I got out of the game and to my car it was already 11:30 so (I can’t believe this is true – but it is) I slept in my car in a Wal Mart parking lot. I had just heard the night before that this was acceptable and I was not the only car there doing it. So sorry Mom and Bob – but I did not go inside nor did I give them any of my money.

As soon as I woke up – remember I was in Green Bay and it was very cold – I hit the road.

I am now in the most adorable town I’ve been in – Delevan Wisconsin. I found a hotel that has everything I need – laundry, internet, hot tub, car wash (across the street), and they upgraded me to a suite – I’m about to head out for a bike ride around this beautiful lake and through a tree arboretum. Quite the upgrade from Wal Mart.

Not sure what’s next – my beer and brats in Milwaukee.



Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Go Pack Go! =)

    You look terrific Maria...although you're missing your "cheesehead". Also - it didn't look like it was that cold during the game. Too bad you missed the tundra weather of Lambeau Field!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there...sounds like you are having a wonderful time. No pics with Wilford? Rats.

    Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron Rodgers is my man...that is Cal man - we should have arranged a blind date for you (he can through passes at women and receivers) - might have been better than that car. Seriously, this is the most vicarious fun ever just to read your blog! Buzz

    ReplyDelete