Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Detroit – Ohio – Southbend

From lovely Wisconsin – I made my way direct to Detroit, Michigan. I was on a mission to get to the airport to pick up John by 6:40 to catch a 7:00 Red Wings game. In spite of my stellar geography skills – I failed to remember that Detroit is in another time zone. Luckily, I was also wrong about game time and we got there in time to see the puck fall (is that what they call it in hockey?)

Hockey is so much better in person – I might just have to become a fan. We had great seats and the Red Wings won! Woo Hoo!

they skate very fast - it was hard to get a good picture!

I stayed for 4 days with the Pugh’s. It was a wonderful time and they made me feel like family. I now understand Midwestern hospitality and the fact that being Mid Western is not all about where the state lies in relation to the rest of the nation.

I got a great tour of the area around Toledo, Perrysburg, Bowling Green, Custer, etc. It’s a lovely area with lots of water and farms. I visited the home of the Mud Hens and Walleye’s (nope – I’m not making this up). I got to eat at Tony Packos and enjoyed some comedy in little Perrysburg.

One of the highlights of the trip however is the Notre Dame game. I got the grand tour of the campus, grotto, the Basilica and touchdown Jesus. Then we got to watch ND decisively beat a nationally ranked Utah and the celebration after the game was the biggest I’ve ever witnessed. Great fun! Finish the evening off with a Rib Eye and the Oregon game on TV and it’s a little slice of heaven.

Touchdown Jesus. Thanks be to God.


Notre Dame



And the crowd goes wild!!!

John and I at the game! Good Times



5 comments:

  1. Hey there...I'm a bit late here and you've been a busy girl. What a great trip!

    I didn't know you were going to the Ohio St./Penn St. game. Very cool. Hopefully it won't be a blowout. It might pale the Autzen experience just from the size of the venue.

    One more thing: Could you send me one of those German pancakes? That was quite a sight!

    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note, it seems that my sister now likes you more than me. As you stated she invited you to Boston to visit. I didn't even know she lived in the Boston area!! Lucky you. When you go tell my niece's and nephew's I said hello.

    Seriously, it was fun showing you a bit of Ohio and Northwest Indiana. Now we know, that according to AAA Ohio is in the southeastern part of the U.S. All this time I thought I grew up in the Midwest and you west coasters felt I was from the East? May explain a lot of my problems.

    Enjoy Kentuck and Tenn. on your way to K.C.

    And last but not least, sorry about them Zags. Hope they fair better in South Bend on Dec. 11th

    JJP

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.

    The proper verbage is "watch the puck drop"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were clearly good luck for the Irish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Maria! Love to see your adventure unfold. Have fun and keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete