Sunday, November 7, 2010

Here is bit more on Wyoming – I posted South Dakota too soon….

So after Greybull, I went to Cody Wyoming – the home of Buffalo Bill. It is a very touristy town but still cool. I stayed in the Irma hotel – He built it for his wife. After the previous night, I laid pretty low.

From there I went to Thermopolis where they have hot springs and mineral baths. Much like the fountain of youth. I had a great bike ride around a buffalo reserve and road my bike around town. I got lots of stares for this. One farmer’s wife teased me about why I would want to work that hard when I had a perfectly good car.

They also have the largest dinosaur museum in Thermopolis with a large dig site. There are dino foot prints all over town and this statue is in the middle of town.



I ended my Wyoming wanderings with a visit to the Devils Tower monument. It is quite amazing. It has several Indian legends about it – basically the Great Spirit raised the rock to save children who were being chased by bears. The bears, in an effort to climb the rock, left deep claw marks in the sides which had become too steep to climb. (Those are the marks which appear today on the sides of Devils Tower.) When the girls reached the sky, they were turned into the star constellation the Pleiades. It is also the site used in Close Encounters of the Third Kind

In Greybull I had breakfast with Wilford Brimley – the actor - He has appeared in such films as The China Syndrome, Cocoon, and The Firm. You have also seen him in some television commercials, like ads for Quaker Oats and Liberty Medical. You just never know who you might run into!!

I have discovered the place to be if you are a single woman and looking for some men! Eastern Oregon, Montana and Wyoming during hunting season = instant popularity!!

I am having a wonderful time, meeting great people and seeing the beautiful country!!

More to come…I’m off to larger cities and more sporting events!!

Maria

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maria! What a wonderful adventure you're having. I did what you're doing (in reverse) when I moved to Portland (I took 2 months and 6000 miles to get here from the east coast). You can really get used to the freedom and spontaneity of life.

    Renee told me you're in WI now! That's where I grew up. If you had time, northern WI is gorgeous as is Door County - right next door to Green Bay where I believe you were yesterday (Go Packers!) Today I think you're close to Lake Geneva & Milwaukee - both worth stopping in - check out Harley Davidson in MKE -kind of cool to see where it all began. Of course a "cheesy" beer tour would be awesome too, wouldn't it?

    You'll be driving around Lake MI and this Great Lake is pretty awesome..they all are in fact. Stop off somewhere along Hwy 94 in the dunes to climb down to taste the fresh water (I think there's access in Michigan City - Google wedsite for Indiana Dunes) Wave to my alma mater, Kalamazoo College. It's beautiful in the fall - of course I believe they call it 'winter' now =)

    This is a great blog and so nice for everyone to stay in touch. Enjoy and drive safe!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you meet Wilford Brimley? I'm impressed with how brave you are. I always knew that , of course.

    Now that Wal-Mart's been nice to you, does that mean I can't hate them anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle -- I love all the great suggestions. I actually went to lake geneva yesterday -- love it -- I told my mom it is a place she needs to go too!

    Mom -- remember -- I get my "guts" and charm from you! And no, we shouldn't hate wal mart but we dont have to shop there either. :-)

    ReplyDelete